Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Blogger Sightings

4 Down, 50 Billion to Go....

Since reading Lunatic's posts, I've had a craving for a Chicago dog -- haven't been to the Wienery in about 6 months and he's there constantly, it seems. So after friends and I left Midwest Mountaineering's recent expo to head over to Freewheel, friends and I needed a quick bite and I jumped at the chance to finally get my dog. Unfortunately, we figured Bobke and Gary Fischer would pull in the crowds, so after walking into the Wienery we walked back out so close! and headed over to Freewheel early to grab seats and dine on Clif Bars instead. Wienery, Freewheel...when I saw the black CrossCheck, I had to ask. He looked familiar somehow, anyway. Lunatic indeed. We chatted for a bit and he said he wasn't staying due to his being up until 2:30 that morning. Says he can do it because he's old -- if that's the case he wears it well. My old has me heading to the sack by 10.

Damn! I forgot to ask his name. He's gotta have a name besides Lunatic. Next time.

Shawn had read my posts about heading to AZ in early April and had offered to show me some of east valley routes once I arrived. Circumstances being what they were, I wasn't able to head his direction, but he was able to join my crowd on the west side and take-in views of some of the most, um... over-built desert there ever was. We did see actual farmland (roses!) and horses, but unfortunately their days are probably numbered as well. We shared some similar outlooks: love the desert, love the climate, dislike Phoenix the language may have been stronger than that, but ya know....

Shawn has recently taken up cycling again after quitting the smokes last June? July? and he rides a fine rig in fine style. It's not often to find a relative newcomer who's as smooth.

Next year I'm riding his neck of the woods, though.

Shannon was my first blogger-sighting. Too weird. Too much fun.

Annie...can I consider her as a sighting since I'd met her before our blogging started and haven't seen her since?

- OB gets a kick out of realizing she knows people she doesn't know

7 comments:

Frostbike said...

The big loony's name is Ray...

shawnkielty said...

Thanks OB, that's very nice of you to say.

Jill Homer said...

I've met two people out there in bloggerland - Tim, and now DaveIT
- http://saddlesoressuck.blogspot.com. One of these days, we should hold a big bike bloggers convention. How do you feel about Hawaii?

annie said...

Hawaii! Jill, that is the best idea I have heard in a long time. We had a mini blogger convention here last November, where I met Jojo, Equipoise, and Fixeapolis. And since the whole blogging thing I have also met Jim, Filtersweep, Smithers, and UltraRob, and discovered that people I knew in real life also had secret superhero identities (Sascha, Scott, EclectChick, Sarah, Amanda, Andy, Gilby). In fact, it is getting to the point where I don't know that many people who DON'T blog....

Lunatic Biker said...

Ray. No Clif bars served at the Wienery.

The Old Bag said...

Hawaii...I'm in!

Annie -- many of my generation is still asking what a blog is.....

annie said...

Ooh, and then there's the fact that I read Andy's blog before I met him, but the whole reason I met him wasn't because of his blog but because he started dating Gilby who was my friend in real life before I even knew she had a blog, and I think instead of a "blogger sighting" we have to just call that an "incestuous community."