Sunday, April 17, 2011

Black

My second bicycle life started somewhere in the early 90s. Several years prior I’d ripped out an article from Shape magazine: supported bicycle touring sounded like something I’d like to try someday. The article ended up in my desk drawer and the thought rolled around the back of my brain for years. In my early 30s I found myself prepping for the Oregon coast with a group of friends.

I headed to the LBS for a tuneup on an old Schwinn Grand Sport. I left the LBS with a new, lightweight, black Giant Prodigy. I liked the red bike...the blue bike, green one, yellow... but I bought the one with the best ride.

Since then I’ve had a variety of bicycles, many in black. At first I likened black to ninja, but over the years the idea has become less numchuk and more little black dress: it goes with anything. I’ve since expanded to silver/raw, since that’s neutral enough as well.

So, I’m now debating a Long Haul Trucker frame and fork. The blue frame is a nice look. But the other night as I was talking to the LBS dude, he and I both mentioned our affinity for black frames. My reason?

Black goes with anything, I said, thinking anodized bits and parts and kit.

A quick Sharpie and the scratches disappear, he said at the same time.


I like the way this guy thinks.

- ob hadn’t thought of that one

10 comments:

Snakebite said...

I love my LHT. It's blue. Regardless it is very comfortable for many hours in the saddle. Brooks saddle, of course.

Jim said...

Black. It's the new black!

Tim said...

The Sharpie touch-up is a nice advantage. I'll have to remember that for by black Fatback.

On the other hand, the white frame on my Specialized Epic makes a nice sample surface when adjusting my camera's white balance while out on the trail!

Human Wrecking Ball said...

Whenever anyone asks why my bike is black I say: "because it's slimming".

The Old Bag said...

Does this ride make my ass look fat?

Groover said...

And by black I mean also black saddle and black handlebar tape... not this white nonesense. Humbug!

Tim said...

"Does this ride make my ass look fat?"

Quite the contrary. And there's proof!

http://akbikegirl.blogspot.com/2011/02/revolutionary-invention-makes-butts.html

The Old Bag said...

Groover, I agree with you TOTALLY about the white.

T--LOVED the link! Now I can't wait for my Fatback!

The Old Bag said...

Ok, Groover, except this http://spotbrand.com/bikes/product-page/rocker-ss/

Emma Pod said...

Hey Old Bag,

Happy Belated Birthday!!! I can't believe you didn't post about it on April 16th. Now you are an official Old Bag I think - it was an "0" birthday and that's all I'm going to say about that. Hope it was great and I put something in the mail.